Why Does it Always Rain On Me?

Mount Kinabalu Travel Blog

The path to the summit
We wake just before 3am for the walk to the summit and it's not raining.  I had tried to persuade our guide for a later start, partly to avoid the crowd but also so we could walk up in light, but soon after I had made my request he handed me his mobile phone and his father explained to me over the phone that we needed to leave at 3am.
Julie is surprisingly good humoured for a person who has never risen at 3am in her life before as we set off.  I go in front with a torch and the guide brings up the rear, but after 10 minutes we catch up with the group in front and as it is hard to pass on the narrow path we join the snake of walkers heading up the mountain.
The first 45 minutes is a steep path through trees after which it opens out onto an open rock face.
We made it!
  This is the most difficult section but there is a rope to hang onto and though it is tricky the path does not feel particularly exposed.  After about another 30 minutes we reach a flat section where there is a park hut and a final checkpoint.  From here to the top it is a steady plod over open rock; not steep, but the altitude makes it hard work and it is a relief to finally reach the summit.
At the top there are a few groups waiting for dawn to break.  The sun rises over the Eastern edge of the platean just before 6. It is a good but not spectacular sunrise; the view across to the east is particularly impressive but today there is cloud below us so no view of the country below.
We take photos and soon head on down, working up a good pace on the upper section.
The view over Lows Gully
  Light rain is beginning to fall and I find my boots lack grip on the wet rock.  I take the final section quickly and manage to reach our lodge by 7:30 just before the real rain sets in.
We quickly collect our bags and have a well deserved and leisurely breakfast.  As we eat the rain gets steadily heavier.
We delay our departure until it eases but this is only a temporary lull and by the time we reach the park gate we are pretty wet.  Our timing though is good as while we lunch the rain becomes torrential.  We are in no rush and keen to dry out so decide to stay in the hostel near the park entrance.  The hostel is clean and tidy but seems totally deserted.  There is a nearby park restaurant where we have dinner and relax proud of our acheivement of the past day.
The summit plateau path