Hooked on You

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Batu Caves

The Batu caves are just north of the city of KL.  They are one of the most sacred placed for local Hindus who every year make a pilgrimage to the shrine here.  As a sign of faith many mutilate themselves using hooks and use the hooks inserted into their skin to drag objects the 12km walk from the centre of town to the caves.

We decide to take the easy way there - or so we think- by local bus.  Malaysian buses seem to me to be very confusing and KL is no exception.  After about 20 minutes looking for the bus station we finally ask a local and are directed to the right place.  As is common here there is no actual bus station, the buses terminating at a sort of square in the N centre of the city.  The number 11 bus goes to the caves but takes almost an hour.

The path up to the caves has 297 steps and is guarded by vicious monkeys (I joke not).  There is an impressive statue at the bottom and the caves at the top are worth the climb.

tvillingmarit says:
Oh the monkeys was vicious when I visited first time trying to rob me from my bananas. Second time I didn`t bring bananas.................
Posted on: Sep 17, 2008