Every Breath You Take

Mount Kinabalu Travel Blog

Mount Kinabalu from Park HQ

Mount Kinabalu is almost 4100m high, almost as high as I trekked in the Himalayas, but there it took me 6 days to reach that altitude whereas here we will do it in less that 24 hours!  Much to my surprise Julie has decided she wants to do the climb too, so I've told her that there's no point wingeing once we start as no-one will be listening!

The logistics of arranging the trek are actually fairly straightforward once we have the accommodation on the mountain booked, but we still need to make our own way to the Kinabalu national park entrance by bus.  KK lacks a bus station but we know where the bus leaves from and that it is meant to take two hours.  We reach the bus park at 7:30am and quickly find the right bus but this doesn't leave until 8:15 and then grinds slowly up the road taking well over 2 hours  to reach the park gate.

The track up Kinabalu
  By then I am becoming concerned as we believe they close the track at 11am so if they do this will be a close call.

I should not have worried as within minutes of arriving at the park HQ we have paid our admission and guide fees and have been supplied with packed lunches, a personal park pass and our own guide.  Our guide seems like he should be at school still and speaks very little English but I'm sure he knows the way to the summit (not that it is hard to find!) but it is the rule that you need to have a guide so there is no point complaining.

No wanting to waste time we head for the gate and the start of the track.  The path is reasonably steep but not too difficult although the artificial steps are often very large making each step quite an effort.

View up towards the summit plateau
  Today we have only about 5km to walk but about 1500m to ascend so it is a steady climb all the way.  Julie plods along without compalining and we make steady progress arriving at the lodge just before 4pm.

We find that our room is in the top lodge about 300m further up the track from the main building and after the brief rest I find the final walk up there a struggle; it is steep, slippery and just hard work.  Here we are at 3300m and you can feel how thin the air is.  Dinner is served from 5:30 back in the main building meaning we have to negotiate the path down and back again.

By 7:30 everyone is heading for bed as we will rise at 3am for the walk to the summit.

Riz7 says:
Tempting ! But Kilamanjaro is really tough. Kinabalu(4100m is just a hill by comparison!
Posted on: Jun 19, 2008
skippyed says:
I'mwanting to do this mountain. Next year we are climbing Kilamanjiro! want to do that with us?
Posted on: Jun 11, 2008