Vienna to Klagenfurt

Klagenfurt Travel Blog

Sacher Torte at Hotel Sacher, Vienna

I got up far too early this morning for my body.  I did not have a headache, but dear lord was I tired (that happens with 2 hours of sleep)!  I had one last thing to do in Vienna this morning -- I had not yet had a Sacher Torte.  It is the most famous pastry from Vienna and is found at the Hotel Sacher just down the street from my hotel.  A Sacher Torte tastes a little like gingerbread, soaked in apricot liqueur, coated with a hard dark chocolate shell.  It was delicious with my Viennese coffee, but a bit rich for breakfast.  Nevertheless, I was able to check it off my list of things to do!

My flight to Klagenfurt was on Tyrolean Airlines.

Tyrolean Airlines flying over the Alps (courtesy of Tyrolean)
  The Vienna airport was a madhouse that morning -- tons of rude people [well maybe not rude -- maybe they were all hungover like me.  :)] .  The plane was a small propeller driven plane, but I somehow got bumped up to Business Class, so I had plenty of room.  I had a glass of champagne thinking it would make me feel better -- and it worked for a bit.  I was very happy to see that my bags had made it to Klagenfurt and did not have to live with airline donated t-shirts again.

Doug met me at the airport in Klagenfurt.  He was barefoot, wearing his bike shorts and a sleeveless bike jersey -- totally ready for his Ironman competition the next day.  It was pretty funny to see him like that at the airport and I am sure it raised an eyebrow or two among the crowd there.

Sale boat on the Worther See

Klagenfurt is in Southern Austria near the Italian border in Carinthia province, or Karnster in German.  The southern end of the Alps are nearby, so it is quite beautiful and scenic.   We had to run down to the Ironman registration desk so Doug could turn in his bike and complete his registration process.  There were over 1800 competitors registered, so it was very crowded and busy.  It was amazing to see all these competitive athletes in one place!

Doug wanted to show me around the course, so we took off in the rental car to check out the lake for the open water swim part of the course.  They will swim in the Worther See.  It is glacier fed, so it's a milky green color and very very cold.  We found a nice place for lunch and sat outside.

Karnsten Province, Austria
  I had Austrian wine, bratwurst, sauerkraut and fried potatoes.  After lunch, we drove around the Worther See so we could check out the bike course.  At some point I fell asleep while Doug was talking -- he started laughing so hard at me and asked me if I had had a hard night.

When we got back to the hotel (the Sandwirth), I checked in and promptly took a two hour nap.  Doug called and woke me around 6:30, so I jumped up, showered and met him for a stroll around the town and dinner.  As we were walking along, we crossed paths with an elderly Austrian man who asked me about my T-Shirt (I was wearing a tee from a rafting company on the Chattooga River in Northern Georgia/South Carolina back in the states).  He was trying to pronounce "Chattooga" so I helped him out.

Beautiful home near the Worther See
  I thought he was a nice man at first.  Although he was asking me questions in English, he started yelling at me to speak German in response.  I told him that I did not speak German.  He went off on me then saying that "German was the number one language" and that American's were stupid to only know one language.  I told him I would be happy to converse with him in Spanish or French -- but thought that he was doing pretty well with English!  That really set him off.  He went into a tirade about Americans, Russians and Israelites.  He hated them all.  Rather than continue our lively discussion, Doug and I elected to cross the street and get far away from him.

We did find a nice outdoor cafe (Zum Augustine) and had a good chuckle about our encounter.  I enjoyed a beef goulash with big chunks of beef in a spicy thick red sauce.  It had plenty of fresh hungarian paprika!  It was really good with a glass of red wine and a side of parsley potatoes.

We walked back to the hotel after our meal -- with an eye out for our 'friend' from the encounter earlier.  Thank goodness he had left and the rest of our night was quiet.  I was in bed and asleep shortly after 10:30 -- Doug was getting me up at 5am to head down to the Ironman competition the next day, so I needed some rest!

Sacher Torte at Hotel Sacher, Vien…
Sacher Torte at Hotel Sacher, Vie…
Tyrolean Airlines flying over the …
Tyrolean Airlines flying over the…
Worther See