1st Stop Catalina Island

Catalina Island Travel Blog

The Casino in the background

So our first port was Catalina Island, which is right off of the coast of California and yet it took us approximately 16 hours to cruise there.  I can't figure that out!  Anyway, for it to be right off of Los Angeles, it was still a piece of paradise.  The locals said we lucked out with the weather because it had been cold and rainy for the past week.  For us, it was 76 and sunny - yippee.

The port was too small for a cruise ship so water taxis transfer you from the ship, which is a little scary because that means you really have to pay attention to the time to get back to the ship in time.  But it's fun getting on the boat even though they packed us in like sardines.  We hadn't planned any excursions for this stop, but I was dying to see the Buffalo on the interior of the island.

Sipping a pina colada
  We found a tour shop and booked an excursion to the "airport in the sky"   This trip said you could get a chance to see buffalo during a 2 hour ride into the interior.  We killed time on the island first marveling about how great life would be on an island where your feet and go-carts appeared to be the main source of transportation.  We grabbed a great seafood lunch at a place on the water and sipped pina coladas.  I'm not sure that life gets better!

But wait, it does!   Our tour guide for a bus trip was about the happiest man on the planet and full of dumb jokes.  He also may be the best driver on the planet, because he got us up those winding roads without killing us!  About half way up, we spotted our first buffalo.

My first Buffalo!
  Already, this trip is worth it!  I've never seen a buffalo before and well...they are ugly.  It was so weird to see one among the backdrop of the blue water and mountains.  The tour guide explained that they had been brought to the island for a movie years ago, and were left behind.  There were something like twelve originally and now there are about 300 I think he said...so they've been making babies!  We continued up into the interior and were lucky enough to run into a herd of buffalo.  Really, that alone was the highlight of my cruise, but the views were breathtaking as well.

We made it back from our trip just in time to catch a boat back to the ship for its departure.  I really don't like playing things that close, but I really wanted to see those buffalo.  Tonight is formal night, so we get to get all dolled up for dinner, luckily we eat at the second dinner which is after 8pm so we are able to take a nap and recover from our funfilled day in Catalina...next stop Ensenada

The bustling Catalina Airport
The bustling Catalina Airport
Panorama of Catalina Island from c…
Panorama of Catalina Island from …
Parked Go Carts
Parked Go Carts
At the airport in the sky
At the airport in the sky
I think hes looking at me!
I think he's looking at me!
A herd of buffalo