So it begins: Autographs, Concerts & Long lines

Nashville Travel Blog

with Rhett Akins again

It begins today with making sure we have our admission tag for the events to hang from our necks all day for the next 4 days. It's better than the wristbands we had to wear the whole time. At least these can be taken off although also more easy to lose. Also Included in our packets are pocket schedules of the events, Booklet that also has schedules & can be used for autographs, coupon booklet (for stores, hotels, etc.) & free admission to the Country Music Hall of Fame (worth $15) & a bag to put these things in. lol I also pack sunglasses, sunblock lotion ( for the Riverfront concerts)& CD covers for autographs & of course my digital camera & 3 memory cards. lol Bernie calls this "country music boot camp" because the past few years I've made her get up at 6am to get to the convention center to get into a line for another 1-2 hours to get into another line to try to meet a country star.

this sign was to good to pass up!
lol Also Bernie would say "Are we going to eat" and I would respond with "we'll eat in between concerts" which is usually not til 5pm. I guess I get caught up in all the action & "forget" to eat. This year I tried to be more leanient. (sp?) I believe we arose at 0730 & walked to the convention center around 0830 to get in, you guessed it a line. This line was only to get into the convention center which didn't open until 9am. If you think I'm crazy, some of these people camp out ALL NIGHT TO BE THE 1ST ONES IN LINE. In all my years I have never done this. That's just a little insane to me. lol It's a warm morning & this time of year is usually in the 90's. UGH The workers fit as many people as they can inside so people don't have to wait in the sun.
Tracy Byrd performing on the Riverfront stage
  We get in to the 2nd level. People are all lined up against the walls & then anywhere from 3-5 lines are also against the middle. There are 2 entrances & you can't tell how some of the lines are going.

A little after 9am the doors to where the autograph sessions are held are open & the workers yell "no running" but most of these people don't listen. I walk fast & then almost in a jog to the booths of the groups I want to see most (Pinmonkey, GAC, CMT, Tower Records & Country Weekly) as I've already lost Bernie. She went to the right side to check out the situation over there. I see that RHETT AKINS is signing at 10am so I get in that line because I wanted him to sign my "Kiss my Country Ass" t-shirt that I forgot yesterday.

with Neal McCoy
I think he remembered me & I got yet another picture with him & was on my way. I found out that Pinmonkey was signing later in the day so I met up with Bernie & we left the convention center  & walked the couple blocks to the Riverfront Stage where, yep, RHETT was performing from 12-2pm. Can you say STALKER? lol

When we get here, your bags get searched but I've never had a problem. TRACY BYRD is on stage & we go down through the picture line in front of the stage to get pics of him. This is my favorite part of the experience. There is something to be said about being able to be in front of that stage & get CLOSE UP pictures of your favorite artists. The coliseum has a picture line also but you are hurried through it.

Jimmy Wayne
This one is not rushed & you can easily go thru a few times. Each artist usually performs 4 songs. There are a few artists before Rhett & one group is from my hometown, the POVERTY NECK HILLBILLIES. They were dancing & doing boy band moves. lol RHETT was last & did a few songs & I got more pics of him to add to my collection.

We walked back to the convention center & got in line to meet more artists. NEAL MCOY, JIMMY WAYNE, BILL CODY and PINMONKEY. I meet NEAL & he is so funny & nice. He just cracks me up! Bill Cody hosts shows on GAC & I had to ask him what he thought about HANK III. I go to meet JIMMY WAYNE   and he tells me that I have BEAUTIFUL EYES! Well I was so Flustered by this because I have never had a man tell me that before.

Pinmonkey- Michael R., Michael J. and Mike C
lol Then he invited us to watch him at the Riverfront on Sunday. Now it was time to meet PINMONKEY and now I was even More nervous meeting them thanks to JIMMY. lol That's ok. They noticed I was nervous & were happy that I had their CD. I asked them if they actually run their MYSPACE page & they said they did. I told them I would be back to see them again tomorrow.  I left the convention center a Happy woman.

Walked back near the Riverfront area to the HARD ROCK CAFE to eat. Did I mention that this involves TONS of walking! lol Also saw TRICK PONY perform. Walked back to the hotel to freshen up & then walked over to the coliseum (about 25 min) for the nightly concerts which included LITTLE BIG TOWN, PAT GREEN, BLAKE SHELTON, SARA EVANS, DIERKS BENTLEY (who was a surprise performance), GARY ALLAN, BROOKS & DUNN, HANK WILLIAMS JR & LYNYRD SKYNYRD. This was a great show! My personal favorites were LBT, Gary Allan & Brooks & Dunn. The big surprise was KEITH URBAN joined Brooks & Dunn for a song! NICOLE KIDMAN was backstage too! I went through the photo line & tooks about 100 pictures! lol

euphemy says:
lol no I'm talking about the people who sleep outside overnight for 4 nights in a row.
Posted on: Nov 22, 2006
Aditu says:
Hey, let's not make fun of people who drive 8 hours for a concert, wait in line for another 8 hours and then drive back home, lol. Is that why you never want to go to concerts with me :)
Posted on: Nov 22, 2006
this sign was to good to pass up!
Tracy Byrd performing on the River…
Tracy Byrd performing on the Rive…
Jimmy Wayne
Pinmonkey- Michael R., Michael J. …
Pinmonkey- Michael R., Michael J.…
Rhett Akins