Unofficial start with parade, concert & Little Big Town's Gold party

Nashville Travel Blog

meeting Little Big Town: l-r: Karen, Jimi, me, Kimberly & Philip

Today was our day to move downtown to the Doubletree Hotel for the next 5 nights. We got to this hotel & usually we pick up our packet which included our tickets for admission to everything at the downtown hotel but it wasn't here. Of course I was nervous about this & thought maybe I should call the hotel we just checked out of. It ended up that our packet was there instead. I was miffed that they never informed us before we left that the packet was there. I'll know next time to ask before checking out. We ended up driving back to Music Valley which is about a 20 minute drive & then back to downtown. Oh well, we did have a couple hours to kill & thank goodness we did. We walked the street of BROADWAY and this has the great honkytonk bars of LEGENDS & TOOTSIE'S.

Cowboy Troy
These bars open in the morning with live music & no admission fee! We stopped at KINKO'S & used the internet & by then it  was time for the parade to start. This is the official kick-off to the festival. There were alot of country acts taking part and immediately following the parade was a concert held outside the GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT CENTER.

We didn't watch the parade & instead we went to the center to get a "good place to stand" for the concert. My favorite groups LITTLE BIG TOWN & PINMONKEY were performing & I really wanted to see them. There was already alot of people standing in front of the stage. GRRRR! Somehow I did manage to get near the front while Bernie stood on the side. First out was COWBOY TROY & BIG & RICH.

John Rich of Big & Rich
They performed "We're Coming to your City" & "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy". They aren't my favorites but they are decent entertainers & the crowd & music made it exciting. What really made me happy was that LITTLE BIG TOWN was next & they performed "Good as Gone, Looking for a Reason & Boondocks". They harmonize well & are very good musicians. By this time we had to leave to get ready for their (Little Big Town) fan club GOLD Party & that also meant I had to miss PINMONKEY performing. There is always many things going on at the same time, so you have to pick & chose who & what you see. We already had our tickets for this party for 2 months & we were excited about going.

We walked back to our hotel which is a couple blocks away, got ready & then walked down to B B KINGS where the party was at.

Big Kenny
There was a LONG line & they were half an hour late in opening the doors. I had never been in BB Kings before so I didn't know what to expect. Well there wasn't much seating & it was narrow & long with the bar on the right side. What seating there was was already taken & many people were standing in front of the stage which wasn't elevated. We ended up eating our buffet food sitting on the floor & neither Bernie or me are remotely tall so of course we couldn't see them at all! How frustrating that was! We ended up sitting/ standing on the steps by the entrance talking to a girl about soap opera fan club parties. lol One thing I love about this week is meeting different people from all over the country. People are usually friendly.

We ended up being near the front of the line to meet them & there were these 2 guys in front of us from Texas.

Karen from Little Big Town
They were so funny & nice & the one was saying how nervous he was about meeting them. I got to meet them & they were soooo sweet. Each of them shook my hand & I told them how much I liked their music & that they were one of my "Myspace friend's". Philip was like "Oh really?" It's amazing how nervous I get about meeting some of my favorite artist that stupid things come out of my mouth! Oh well, they were really sweet! By this time it was around 10pm & we had to walk a few blocks back to the hotel for our 1st day of getting up early to get in lines. lol

meeting Little Big Town: l-r: Kare…
meeting Little Big Town: l-r: Kar…
Kimberly from Little Big Town