Cock of the Walk and Grand Ole Opry

Nashville Travel Blog

Martina McBride

CMA Music Festival is a Country music festival that takes place in Nashville, Tennessee in June of every year. Some activities start on Monday with fan club parties for the country singers but the actual festival last 4 days starting on Thursday and ends Sunday night. The festival involves autograph sessions and celebrity sports competitions during the day at the Nashville Convention Center, concerts during the day at Riverfront Park and then they take place in the evening at LP Stadium. I have gone to this 10 times since 1995. It has since changed names & is now called  "CMA Music Festival" instead of fan fair. It used to take place at the Fairgrounds with some 25,000 people attending but was then moved to downtown in 2000 with attendence now being 161,000 people.

Travis Tritt
We have met people from the UK, Ireland & Australia that have traveled to this.

Our package included 9 nights in 2 hotels, our passes to the festival and admission to the Country Music Hall of Fame. After 9 hours of driving on Saturday, my friend, Bernie & I arrived at our hotel in the early evening on Music Valley Drive for 4 nights. We were moving downtown Wednesday night. Each year we get tickets to the GRAND OLE OPRY & eat at the COCK of the WALK and this year was no different except attending the later 9:30pm show. COTW is a restaurant along Music Valley Drive that has good catfish and is my favorite.  It has 2 floors with wooden tables & chairs & the waitors wear red shirts & black pants.

Vince Gill
Drinks are served in tin cups &  Flipping the skillet bread in front of you make it unique. Most of the time they catch it! lol Although I have seen it dropped twice. The menu is a choice of chicken, catfish or shrimp but alot of food comes with it.

Now that we were full we drove to park at Opry Mills & walk to the Grand Ole Opry House for the show which was honoring RAY CHARLES. The show lasted till midnight & was pretty good & the guests were LITTLE JIMMY DICKENS, CONNIE SMITH, MARTINA MCBRIDE, TRAVIS TRITT & VINCE GILL and the Opry Square Dancers which is always my favorite part. Our seats were only a few rows back & I could see every move of Travis Tritt's hips! lol JEAN SHEPPARD told a joke of "what's the difference between a woman who is single & one who is married?" The single woman looks to see whats in her refrigerator & then goes to bed, where as the married woman looks at what's in her bed & then goes to the refrigerator! lol I thought it was cute.

euphemy says:
It is a great time but my friend calls it "country music boot camp"!
Posted on: Nov 20, 2006
X_Drive says:
I wish I were closer and could make that an annual event to visit. Lots of great music! I am so happy for you that you are able to make it an annual visit.
Posted on: Nov 19, 2006
Squaredancers
Squaredancers
Ronnie Milsap
Ronnie Milsap
Nashville Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Cock of the Walk has  2 levels and is located on Music Valley Drive & a good ole southern restaurant with the hospitality to go with it. The menu is… read entire review
Nashville