The fat lady sings

London Travel Blog

Well our vacation is over!  We are sitting in Heathrow waiting to find out what gate our flight will be leaving from.  This is one of the busiest (if not "the" busiest) airports in the world. It is so busy, they didn’t even know what gate we were going to be boarding at…and that was 2 hours before our flight was scheduled to depart.  So we sat around the duty free shopping area (I am sure that was the whole point) until about an hour before we were going to be leaving.  Then we hiked (and I do mean hiked) back to the departure gate.  The boys noticed a sign that said there was no place to get a snack or drink back at the gates, so we got soda before we set off.

We are now back at the gate waiting to board the jet.  My stomach is doing its normal flip flops. I guess the boys have sucked the calm out of me the last 2 weeks.  I know I am exhausted.  When we get into JFK we will have to retrieve our checked bags and move them through Customs.  Then turn them back over to American Airlines to have them put about the jet to San Diego. We have plenty of time, so I am not worried about any of that.  Our lay over at JFK is about 3 hours.  I am not a big fan of layovers, but I thought the chance to get out and stretch and move about would be good for the boys.  Plus we can get something to eat at the airport.  Anything has to be better than airline food.

The boys have been fairly well behaved this trip, except for episodes where dad had to be the referee.  But I have found that long distance traveling with kids is an exercise in patience, planning, and flexibility.  There ideas of what may be fun, are often completely at odds with what an adults are.  I had a basic idea of what we might like to do, along with a set agenda for what I wanted to do.  I think we all worked pretty good together to make the most of our time.  I told the boys we did pretty good.  We ran out of money today when we bought the drinks at Heathrow.  And, we only missed doing one of the things we “wanted” to do.  That was the Kings Banquet.  But is it just like Medieval Times up in Buena Park, so I told the boys we will do that this summer some time.

Another thing that I would have like to have done is rode the London Eye.  But it was just so crowded (everywhere) this week, so we decided to skip it.  Maybe next time.

photo by: ulysses