What a Big Barracks!

Munster Travel Blog

I think it's safe to say we were all glad to get to the barracks, if only for a shower and a change of clothes! The mini-bus was very sticky and we were all a bit cranky because we'd been in a disturbed sleep.

We were met by the unit's welfare officer, a great man by the name of Captain Stewart Bridgehouse. He was so helpful while we were there and very funny. He showed us to our rooms, which were at the far end of one of the accommodation blocks. They were basic - two single beds, a wardrobe, chest of drawers and a small sink, but it would be fine. We weren't going to be in the room very often anyway. I warned Fiona from the MOD who I was sharing a room with that I talk a lot in my sleep, but she just laughed!

We went over to the Officers Mess with Captain Bridgehouse, where we dove on a pile of sandwiches waiting for us, and met some of the other Captains who were to become an invaluable help in the next few days, especially Captain David Marsham.

Oxford Barracks
He was great at grabbing soldiers with stories to tell!

We then set out on a walking tour of the base, which is called Camp Oxford/ Oxford Barracks. It's really pretty big. Its home to about 450 soldiers, some on base, and some in married accommodation - houses away from the main barracks, but still on the base. There's a huge parade square, a gym, library, petrol station, three messes (Officers, Sergeants and Corporals) and the NAAFI - Navy, Army, Air Force Institutes - an on-base convenience store. This became one of our most visited places for bottles of water to get us through the busy hot days. The NAAFI sells things which remind people overseas of home - like Heinz Baked Beans - and British newspapers and magazines, which are all pretty up to date.

Fortunately there was nothing we could do work wise this evening, so we headed back to the rooms.

Offices and Accomodation at the Barracks
At this stage we were told we could all move into a guest flat of the Officers Mess, which was in the same building as our first rooms, but meant we were all together, and there was a kitchen and sitting room where we could work. So we harrumphed our stuff down a huge stone staircase and up a narrow concrete flight and decided who was sleeping where. I somehow ended up in a room with a double bed on my own - the two boys from PA shared a room with two single beds and we hauled a mattress from one of the original rooms so Fiona could sleep in the living room. I felt really bad, but she said she didn't mind.

We got ready for dinner in the Mess and headed over to meet the officers, who again were very helpful. We had a wonderful dinner accompanied by fabulous wines, and sat out on the patio for a while until the mosquitoes and bugs started to get to us. It was decided we were going into town with the officers to see the sights (i.e., the best bars), so we went back to the flat and go changed (I thought it was a bit cold for the dress I was wearing so put on black trousers and a smart fitted shirt) and hopped in some taxis and headed for town, which was about a five minute drive away.

The bar of choice was Enchilada. The house speciality is a drink called Lectric Lemonade, which consists of Gin, Rum, Vodka, Triple Sec and Tequila and sours all over ice, with fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice, all topped up with lemonade in a 500ml glass. They were AMAZING! I'm going to have a bash making it at home, but I fear I may kill myself with alcohol poisoning trying to get it right! I've attached the recipe below for any brave souls wanting to try blending their own versions! I made my way through three of these wonderful drinks before I started on water for a while! We went on to another bar called the Beach Bar, which is a big sandy area on the riverfront, between 2 industrial units. It was pretty late and it was only a few soldiers from other battalions who were there, so we didn't stay long until the last 5 of us standing (me and the PA reporter among them) headed back to the barracks just after 2am! I rang Mark when I got in - waking him up, oops - and said good night to him before I crashed out ahead of my 0600 start the next morning!

Lectric Lemonade Drink Recipe

0.67 oz. Sour Mix
0.5 oz. Jose Cuervo Tequila
0.5 oz. Gin
1 fill Lemon Lime soda

In a mixing glass filled with ice combine gin, vodka, rum, triple sec, tequila, and sour mix. Shake and pour into a glass. Fill up with 7-Up.

mfmcp1982 says:
Ah! You're lucky somewhere near you does them. No-where I've asked about them in in Scotland's heard of them. I saw it on the cocktail list at HRC Bangkok though!
Posted on: Aug 01, 2008
homeres says:
i wont have to make it, i can jus walk down to a Chili's, they can make it for me!
Posted on: Jul 31, 2008
wesnmacke says:
Glad it went well! Next time you come to Germany, maybe we can meet up! :D
Posted on: Jun 15, 2008
Oxford Barracks
Offices and Accomodation at the Ba…
Offices and Accomodation at the B…
photo by: spocklogic