Santiago in more detail

Santiago Travel Blog

A Funicular in Valparaiso

We had been looking at the possibility of travelling south to perhaps Chillan but find that the return trip would put us on the other side of the city from the hostal after the metro stopped running and besides I am unable to find accommodation via the net.  Andrew has had a slight upset tummy and I have a sniffle so we set out to explore more of the city.  At the famous fish markets I try an entre of scallops with Parmesan-lovely!

Next day at the hostal and it is filling up with guests from Canada, China, Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, North America and some more Australians.  We walk to the tallest hill that houses the zoo and a cable car and take a ride.  Can only glimpse the Andes through the blanket of smog.  In the evening we go to "Off the Record" for dinner again and this time I try the seafood soup.

smoggy Santiago

Early next morning I hear a lot of knocking on a nearby door and later we learn that a newly arrived guy had a 5 am transfer bus pick up but after being woken twice after the hostal was rung twice by the driver, he was still getting ready!  Next day it is our turn for a 7.30am pick up but we are all ready and take our last look at Santiago.  Snow seems to be receding on the Andes and the smog is still hanging around.  Have an all you can eat breakfast at the airport once our bags have been checked in.  Watch a waitress clean off a table then tips a half drunk glass of water over the table to wipe it down.  It is a great flight over the mountains to Buenos Aires and a 68oF which was pleasant.  Head to the 'something to declare' counter but are whisked through without even scanning our bags.

Santiago