I've gotta get there first!

Cartagena Travel Blog

Hello All,
I am back on the road again.  And in a strange twist (for me), I am returning to the last country I left.  In February I ended my last trip in Colombia, but I stayed in Leticia, Bogota, and Medellin.  This time I am going to check out the Caribbean coastal area.

I stayed awake last night packing and getting ready, and then left my house at about 1:30am to get to my parents house near Milwaukee.  I met my dad at 3:30am, and he drove me to the airport.  The flight was quite a bit cheaper from MKE then from Madison, so what the heck.  My flight left at 5:30am, and I stopped in Houston and Panama City along the way.

The layover in Panama was a bit long, so I grabbed a nap.  Panama City's airport may be the best airport for sleeping I have ever seen.  Instead of those benches with the armrests between every seat, they are all cushioned and you can lie down with no problem.  Well, maybe a bit of a problem...  I woke up about 25 minutes before my last flight was scheduled to leave.  I was the last person on the plane, and they closed the door and pushed back about five minutes after I got there.  That was a close one!

I changed some money at the Cartagena airport and grabbed a taxi.  I had planned on heading towards the Getsemani area to a hostal that wasn't sure if they would have a room.  They said if they didn't that they would help me find one.  But I shared a taxi with two Americans, and after asking where they were staying I decided to go to thier hotel in the Old Town.  It was a little pricier then I wanted, but I talked them down a bit.  It's always good to have a nice place for the first location on a long trip anyway.

I checked out the town a bit before cranking up the A/C and getting some sleep.  Tomorrow I'm going to see the sights, and try to arrange a few excursions.

Later,