An end to Asia

Phuket Travel Blog

Digging in to my cheeseless pizza!

So, our last stop in Asia was Phuket.

We decided we wanted a beach holiday before starting our farm stays, a bit of R&R before working our butts off. We had to get a flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok then change planes.

Sunset
We arrived at sunset, as soon as we had collected our bags there was a scrum of people trying to sell us transportation & hotels. We decided to get a minibus instead of a taxi as we had heard it would be a lot cheaper, we were aware that the minibus would stop at a 'travel agency' where they would try to sell us hotels and tours at 'special discount prices'. We have found that we are much better at saying no to people now, we dont give a damn if they think we are rude, we've grown too tired of being polite and are now abrupt and short with people. A simple “we've already booked our tours & paid the money” shuts them up, if they believe you have already parted with your money they lose interest and move on to the next unlucky soul. We spent over an hour in the minibus as it dropped people off at various locations on the island. When we decided to come to Phuket we were both agreed that we didnt want to stay in the notourious Patong and as we drove through it we found we were right.
Concentrating on crazy golf!
Rows and rows of market stall, shops, bars and hotels were lit up in neon signs, all advertising their 'best in Patong' wares. once again, everywhere we looked there were fat western men being escorted by young Thai women wearing not very much *shudders*, call me a cynic but not all of them can be genuine families.

We finally arrived at our destination, Karon beach, a twenty minute drive from Patong. We didnt book ahead but in low season most places are empty so were confident that we would be found a room. Once we had checked into our room at the Pineapple Guesthouse we decided to get some dinner as we were starving, having survived on snacks and plane food all day. On the corner of our road was a sports bar so we decided to eat there, unfortunately realising too late that it really wasnt the best place to choose. Our waitress, well the woman who shoved a menu at us, was wearing a very short, very tight, outfit (to call it a dress would require it to have more material).

The menu was pretty poor, we both chose spag bol and then watched in amazement as the woman went next door to a little restaurant we hadnt noticed to place the order! We tried to ignore the women that were loafing about, all done up like mutton dressed as lamb and had to rebuff a couple when they came up and offered to play connect 4 with us! There were two fairly drunk men at the bar playing jenga so they drifted away to faux cheer them on. Needless to say we ate up as quickly as we could without choking and left.

We spent the next few days lazing on the beach, reading, topping up our tans and generally being beach bums. Once we had started to get a bit bored of the same routine (shocking I know) and to appease Rachel who had been begging me to, we went and played a game of crazy golf. The place was called Dino Park and was set up with model dinosaurs, caves and was even lit up of a night.

You pointing that camera at me??
We had a scorecard to record our shots and had great fun playing the course. It was hot as hell and the sweat dripping off us wasnt so fun but we managed to power through and ended the game in a draw.

We had heard that a section of Karon beach was good for snorkling so we bought a couple of snorkles to find out. If Rachel ever asks you for instructions about how to adjust something please make sure you give her simple, detailed instructions. As we were adjusting our masks she asked me how to make the strap wider. I simply said 'pull the tab up and then pull the strap. Unfortunately Rachel pulled the tab OFF! *slaps forehead* Doh. After much trouble I managed to wedge the strap so that it would remain tight and not let any water in. Rachel had never snorkled before so took a little while to get used to it, we were in waist high, crystal clear water and could dip our heads under and see fish darting about around us.

Oi thats my towel!
Once Rachel has got used to the feeling we ventured out into deeper water, finding a huge variety of fish all gathered around the rocks. We spent hours bobbing about in the water, watching the fish going about their business.

Phuket has its fair share of stray dogs, as we lay on our towels we had two dogs come up and make friends, then they lay down on our towels and stayed there *pouts* cheeky monkeys!

So ends our time in Asia. We have had a rollercoaster ride, from the stiffling madness of Bangkok to the glorious time spent with the elephants in Chiang Mai. We have gone from being stared at like freaks in a circus in China to being part of the team at care for dogs. We have had amazing experiences we will never forget, climbing the great wall, the spectacle of the Olympic games, bathing an Asian elephant, nursing sick puppies back to health, and so many more.

Asia, thank you, and good night.

Smile!