last view of the Great Salt Lake

Salt Lake City Travel Blog

salt built up on fence posts

After 5 weeks out here, I'm finally on my way home.  On the drive from Wendover to the airport in Salt Lake City I was soaking up the scenery, knowing it might be a long time before I return.  The hills were reflected in the salty ponds along the ditch.  The fence running through the ditches had salt build up on the posts just above the water line.  It was pretty neat - I hadn't seen that before.

I got dropped off at the airport way too early and had nothing to do.  This airport is small with not much entertainment (stores, moving walkways, long concourses to walk, etc).  Instead I amused myself by watching the baggage handlers out the window.

Antelope Island (Stansbury Island behind it)
  I always like to watch to make sure my luggage gets on the plane.  I saw my gray duffel bag go up the conveyor - that's good, one bag made it on the plane.  The conveyor stopped and the guy walked up to the plane.  I wonder why?  Oh, there is my gray duffel lying on the ground by the plane.  It fell off the conveyor about 10 feet to the ground.  Normally I would say, "sucks to be that person", but instead I laughed because it contained nothing but dirty laundry.   I would have been pretty upset if it had contained something valuable or breakable and fell from that high.  I kept watching and soon saw my suitcase go up.  This one contained my nicer clothes, books and toiletries that I would have been a little more upset had it dropped.  Once I was sure everything was tucked inside I returned to watching the news on CNN (for the 3rd repeat).

The plane flew over the eastern edge of the Great Salt Lake.  Antelope Island was visible out my window with Stansbury Island just visible behind Antelope Island.  We didn't fly north enough to see that sculpture in the lake :( but did fly over some nice topography before flying through a bunch of clouds.

salt built up on fence posts
Antelope Island (Stansbury Island …
Antelope Island (Stansbury Island…
hills and reddish clowns