Don't fall in!

Wendover Travel Blog

me in a big crater

Our next task was to investigate the salt flats surrounding the mountain by walking km long transects, back and forth...  It was another two weeks of walking.  On light days I only covered a couple of miles but my best day was when I got 6 miles in before 11 am!  We were searching for craters and other unknowns and did indeed stumble on a few interesting things.  I think I liked the craters the best because you aren't expecting them, in fact you can't even see them until you are right on top of them!  We didn't find anything dangerous out there, but I guess its always best to know for sure!

Since we are in a desert, the main vegetation is greaseweed and cactus, whichever survives best in the salty, dry soil.  Which is why I was suprised to find a little flower growing in a gulley - I think it was the only flower I saw out there except for a flowering cactus.

crater full of bombs
  We also found a couple more stone tools!  My partner found an obsidian knife, or at least I think that's what it was.  It fits perfectly in your right hand for cutting or scraping.  I found a 2.5" long obsidian arrowhead.  Cool!

This range we are working on was used during WWII to train bombing pilots and the crew of the Enola Gay.  Now it is just a small airport for the community, a range for target practice and a whole lot of nothing else.  The range control/airport area has a small historical tour (that I haven't taken) and one of the stops is a tour of the plane that was used in the movie Con Air with Nicholas Cage.  I guess quite a few movies have been filmed out here on the salt flats and the desert.  The white salt flats look like a nice snow blanket from a distance,  plus they have nice pretty mountains in the background.

bomb crater and mountain

Its different working out in the desert and salt flats.  The fine silty soil is easily eroded and there are holes everywhere that can easily swallow a person - or at least part of one.  Its tough to walk or drive because you have to constantly look for holes hiding behind bushes and work your way around them.  Just for fun I jumped in a hole to show how deep some of them can be (and I was rewarded with a shoe full of dirt!).   This day we were at a little different angle to Snoopy Mountain and it actually looked a little more like Snoopy with the big droopy eyes and nose resting on paws.  Some of our samples were out on the salt flat and I could just relax on the tailgate between locations.  Fun!  At the end of the day we dumped out all of our extra soil samples and I thought it looked very artistic with the different colors.  Ah, once again, easily amused.

bomb crater and mountain
Me in mirror (didnt know it was t…
Me in mirror (didn't know it was …
drink mix powder
drink mix powder
lonely flowers
lonely flowers
bombing range sign
bombing range sign
two craters
two craters
plane used in Con Air (movie)
plane used in Con Air (movie)
This time it looks like Snoopy!
This time it looks like Snoopy!
Oops!  I fell in a hole!
Oops! I fell in a hole!