Flying into Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City Travel Blog

2.5 Billion Year old rocks!
My nose was buried in a book for much of the flight until my neighbor peered out the window and commented on the mountains.  Oh!  Mountains!  Pretty!  Once we got below the clouds, we could see the mountains in the area and there was plenty to look at when arriving in Salt Lake City.  My flight came from the east, so we flew west until crossing the Wasatch Mountains and then we turned south and flew over the Great Salt Lake. The Wasatch Mountains border the city to the east and the Great Salt Lake borders the city to the west.  The Great Salt Lake was awesome from above.  Many of the colors (like pink) come from salt-loving bacteria in the lake.   The lake is very shallow and the shoreline changes with a slight drop or rise in water level.  Many small islands also appear (or disappear) depending on lake level.  There is even a sculpture in the north part of the lake that is only visible when the lake level at at a certain level.  The sculpture was created during a drought, so it is only visible when the water level is low.  The flight into Salt Lake City is very scenic.
alyssa_ob says:
I'm always afraid I'll cause the plane to crash because they say to turn off electronic devices. But it hasn't happened yet!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
I love sticking my camera up to the window when I fly. It's the best part of flying, what's out the window.
Posted on: Jun 09, 2008