The Amazing City of Amsterdam

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Me and my roommates from Barcelona

We arrived to Amsterdam at noon yesterday after a surprisingly comfortable flight. Since the flight was empty and we noticed empty seats early in the flight, we were able to each get 3 empty seats to ourselves, so we could stretch out and sleep for the rest of the flight.

Arriving in Amsterdam, we went to an internet cafe to print out our hostel confirmation form and then checked into our hostel. Our roommates were a spanish speaking man and woman who I could communicate with (but Adnan couldn't). In the basement of the hostel is a bar / lounge area where backpackers gather and meet each other.

Our first day we walked around quite a bit, familiarized ourselves with the area, and met some locals.

A scary lizard statue in a random park
That night we watched the Holland vs. Italy game which Holland won. Everyone went crazy! We met a guy at the hostel who followed us around, but we lost him after a while in the crowds. Adnan and I just checked out a lot of bars and then went back to the hostel, and hung out with people in the basement until late and then fell asleep.

Today we took an audio tour of the Van Gogh museum which was very entertaining. We ate and then stopped by the hostel to take a nap. We met our new roommate and some hostelers from Australia. We got a big group together and went out to see a show downtown. We ran into another group of traveling Australians and joined their group. Adnan, my roommate, and I drifted off with some people from the other group. We went back to their hostel and hung out for a while. We took a night bus back to our hostel and hung out more in the bar in our hostel's basement. The next day, we would have to figure out where we were going next, as this was our last night in the Flying Pig Hostel.

Me and my roommates from Barcelona
A scary lizard statue in a random …
A scary lizard statue in a random…
Amsterdam