Bringing my sombrero in Sombrero

Sombrero Island Travel Blog

an internet pic from 4 years ago

I went there with a group of friends. As I am currently studying in the Bicol Region, our jump off point was from the Naga City Bus Terminal. It was hell of a long ride; we took a van, a wooden ferry and a small boat to get to that small quaint island. Being with friends in this journey made the entire long, inconvenient and definitely rocky boat trip worth the while, one of my female companions kept spilling her guts outside the ferry amidst the beautiful sunshiny August morning, and it was literally her guts since we did not have breakfast when we started our early morning trip.

I would definitely put this beach island several notches down compared to the other beaches I’ve been to before. Don’t get me wrong, this can definitely be in the "beautiful island" range, with clear blue waters, seagulls by the shore and the sands were pearly white; I just personally didn’t like the grainy pebbly feel of the beach shore.

There were barest of bear necessities in the island and we of course had to bring our own food. We roasted mallows and hotdogs on our little bonfire and extended our stay to three days. We just enjoyed the serenity of our stay and had a blast talkin’ bout our near death boat ride experience and the little drama along the way when you’re with old friends ;p I'm glad I didn't go solo on this one.

GETTING THERE:

Starting point --> Naga City

Take a van (near SM Naga) from Naga to Pasacao port (around P50)

Wooden Ferry to the Island of Masbate(around P150)

Small boat to Sombrero Island (we rented it for about P1500-2000, back and forth)

*fare is but an estimate since I went there August of ’09 and really forgot the rates ;p

grainy peebly shore
grainy peebly shore
the dried fish the caretaker offer…
the dried fish the caretaker offe…
gulls