quick weekend getaway

Coron Travel Blog

Aaaah… where do I begin?

Should I describe Coron as an Island Paradise waiting to be discovered [more], or do I say it's one of the finest beach islands there are in the region, or better yet the best beach weekend for me this year perhaps? I guess I already started and I would definitely say that it’s all of the above.

I started my journey by booking an online ticket for Super Ferry last May 9 "from Manila to Coron and back (4pm Friday) and Coron-Manila (11pm Sunday) for about $70 all in inclusive of meals inside the ferry (taking a plane from Manila would cost about $100 one way).

raft/ balsa
The whole trip took about 10-12 hours; It was a pleasant ride, although I wasn’t booked in a cabin, we were in an a/c (tourist) accommodation with decent bed bunk, bed sheets and a pillow. I still had a goodnight’s sleep even if it was my first time catching zzzs on a moving biiiig boat.

We arrived 4 am the following day and met with the tour group at the pier, we then took a tricycle to Sea Dive Resort where we were booked for the duration of our stay.
*I found an e-group on the web that organizes tours for Coron; the purpose is to have as many people in a group so we can save by sharing the payment for the boat and the food while island hopping. They charged us about $80 per person for the 2 day trip inclusive of island entrances, a hearty lunch (big fish, pork, bananas and mangoes) and the boat ride… We had to pay another $15 for a 1 and a half days stay in a fan room at Sea Dive (which was clean, I personally liked the simple room).

beach and beer

Overall, the island hopping was an amazing experience. We went to several beaches and lagoons where we snorkeled most of the time. One island where we ate lunch had a Japanese shipwreck near the shore, do couple of wading, look down and you could clearly see the wreck. It was just surreal with all the pristine water that surrounds you and the vast rock formation in between the hops and the bumps. All of the islands have beautiful corals and a rich variety of fish even in shallow waters. We went to Kayangan Lake located inside an island, and the water was so clear you can see rock-bottom 50-100 ft. deep--and it was fresh water... fresh water! in an island surrounded by salt water--again, simply amazing!

I’m planning to go back there again, but this time I want to do my own organizing and I plan to do an overnight stay in one of the islands�"Malcapuya; where the white sand is as fine as flour (i have one shot where I hold the powdery sand of Malcapuya)… hmmm hopefully this July or October after my SEA tour, and you are all invited :-D

...just give me a holler!!! (said in a shrill screachy voice)
abubu says:
damn! nice beach!
misspaulina says:
You have outdone yourself this time! Thank you for continuously discovering pieces of heaven for us...I will live vicariously through you...for now. =) I misshooo andiboiski!
vvicy1 says:
Hi, I am flying to Manila on 27th July, and want to see this beautiful place! Let me know if you would like some company for this amazing trip!
welcome
awkward flight
awkward flight
Coron Hotels & Accommodations review
A day and a half
We paid around P850 ($15) for a twin fan room with own shower and hot water good for one and a half days. The resort usually rents out the rooms for t… read entire review
Coron