AsiaVietnamHanoi

The Old Quarters

Hanoi Travel Blog

It started out with a good breakfast at the cosy cafe at my hotel; the staff was helpful and chatty and my room is clean (always sparkling clean for the rest of my stay as well). The weather was scorching as my local friend brought me around to places like Ba Dinh Square, one pillar pagoda and the Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum. They are all situated beside one another, you can easily walk from one place to another. Though the weather was extremely hot at this time of the year in Vietnam, there is a nice park within a short distance from the one pillar pagoda which offers respite from the heat. The queue was tremedously long at the gate to Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum... and hot too! It makes good sense to put on lots of sun block, wear sunglasses, caps, hats or even a conical hat! Once inside the air conditioned enclosure where the former president laid, silence is to be observed, strictly no photography and queue is very orderly.
Once out of the place, we then proceeded to retrieve our cameras which we had deposited at the counter earlier. We did not get to visit Ho Chi Minh's Museum as we miss the timing, thus it is important to bear in mind the opening and closing times and stick closely to them. After lunch, we then proceeded to the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology which was not air conditioned by the way. Followed by Temple of Literature, be prepared to walk a bit here. Ended the day with a dinner at the famous Cha Ca La Vong (grilled fish), a signature dish not to be missed. Trang Tien plaza offers some shopping with small and big departmental stores within. Turned in early as Hanoians are known to rise and retire early anyday.
Hanoi