Natures sky scrapers

San Francisco Travel Blog

I remember as a small child my parents taking me to see a single giant red wood in the UK. Only 300 years old, it stood towering above the surrounding forest. Visible in the valley below like some mutant plant it was planted by the Lord who owned the estate in the 1700's. This was my second trip to San Francisco and I really wanted to make the effort and see the forest this time around.

The road into the park reminded me of a hill-pass in Europe. I'd never seen windy roads in the US like this before but I couldn't help but feel at home in the twists and turns that descend into Muirwoods. The tyres letting out an enjoyable squeal on each bend. My poor Toyota was surely never meant for this and it's pathetic brakes were already fading fast after a minute of aggressive, accelerated descent.
This road was meant for my car back home =) If only!

Muirwoods is pretty easy to find once you get onto highway 1 and is sign posted all the way. I paid the $5 entrance fee and grabbed a cup of tea a tuna roll - oh the things we British do! So predictable! I headed into the wood, my mouth barely able to close. Each tree standing hundreds of feet high, my neck was quickly getting sore. On the lower levels there are plenty of tourists on the boardwalk. Unfortunately, this spoils a perfectly good forest for me. So as soon as I had the opportunity, I took the first track not suitable for strollers, wheelchairs, the unfit and the elderly!

The path way climbs steeply up the hill away from the paved area and deep in to the forest. The only noise was my back pack and my feet trampling the steep, pine needle lined path.
After 30 minutes of fast paced walking up the hill, I decided to stop. All I could hear was my heart thumping but as it quickly slowed, silence filled the air around me. I stood leaning against a tree for five minutes, taking it all in. The buzzing of bees the only noise permeating from the canopy high above and the sunlight cutting the air in to thin beams.

Suddenly, there was a crunch of leaf litter and the most amazing thing happened. A deer strolled out on the path way, barely 2 meters away. I reached for my camera slowly and carefully selected settings, each twist muted under my t-shirt. She was still unaware of me and continued to sift through leaves along the path edge. Eventually, I couldn't help myself and closed the shutter. I half expected her to jump but she just looked up at me inquisitively before slowly backing away into forest.

I continued on the path, stopping occasionally to see other animals hidden to noisy hikers. I headed back to the main path way and managed to find a spot in the sunlight by a gentle stream to sit and read for a while but to be honest, this place was far to beautiful to waste it with my head inside the covers of a book about Oranges. Even though it's a really interesting read! So, I sat a rested for thirty minutes watching nature around me.
Mike goes climbing =)
Mike goes climbing =)
This small tree is just 1000 years…
This small tree is just 1000 year…