Raising money

Rwanda Travel Blog

My husband, daughter, and I are going to Rwanda in August. I've had all of my shots except yellow fever. I've got my passport, international driving permit, and malaria pills. I've started collecting clothes for the trip which I will leave behind for the people in the villages where we work.

Yesterday was voting day so our group did a fundraiser BBQ of steak and chicken, beans, bread, salsa, and coleslaw. We sold 176 dinners and made more than $1000 (divide that by 15) for those who worked. It was our second BBQ and we have 3 other fundraisers we'll be doing as a group.

Because that won't be enough to help us get much more than our shots (if that), my daughter and I are headed to San Diego to work at the Del Mar Fair next week. But even that won't be enough. So today I tucked some fundraising letters into my purse and went about my day as usual. I ran into two friends who were interested in our trip and gave them letters explaining it, the tax deductible status of all donations, and a letter about why I'm so excited to be a part of this amazing journey. Hopefully they'll feel like supporting me financially and/or prayerfully. I'll need BOTH a lot.

Ah, the life of a missionary - constantly asking friends, family, and strangers for money! I best get used to it because once hubby and I are certified field trainers, we'll be on the missionary field a few times a year @ a cost of close to $2000 each per trip.

Please pray for me and for my family and friends that we'll get the necessary funding and prayer support to make this trip a reality. We really need to get fresh water, education, and God's amazing love to the people of northwestern Rwanda.

Sunflower300 says:
Best of luck! Both with your fundraising and with your trip.
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008