Vancouver - Quiet Beauty

Vancouver Travel Blog

Eagle Harbour, Vancouver
Vancouver is one of those places that takes you by surprise.  Of course, it has been recognized as one of the "Best Cities to Live In" from various publications.  But it isn't as overtly obvious as a destination like San Francisco (when you think of the NW part of North America).  Rather, Vancouver has a subtle, quiet beauty that just grows on you.  After spending a few days there, you realize you don't want to leave.

Yes, it does rain 250+ days out of the year there.  So the best time to go is in the summer which is from mid June to end of August.  I actually went in the middle of September, which left the days open for unpredictable weather (and I am not one to enjoy wet & cold weather!).  Upon arriving, my worst fear came true.  It was overcast and cold.  I wrapped myself up and went to Granville Island - ordered borscht and pierogi at the food court.  It was surprisingly good and gave me warmth for the rest of the day.

The next few days were the same - overcast, wet, and quite cold for September (considering I left New York in perfect sunny 70 degrees weather).  Then, we discussed the chance to go sailing from Eagle Harbour, just north of West Vancouver.  I said yes and decided rain or shine, we would go out the next morning.

When the day came, I woke up and jumped out of bed to check the weather.  It was a bit brighter than the previous days.  Upbeat but still wrapped up, I headed out to the docks.  The air was crisp and fresh.  You just know that it was doing something good to your lungs.  We took a small sail boat out and began sailing.  Luckily, the water was not choppy (since it was awhile ago since I had been on a boat and I didn't have my sea legs).

Even though it was still a bit chilly, the sun broke through the clouds that day when we were sailing.  I took it all in - being close to the water, crisp air, warmth of the sun on my face.  I looked around and saw the wonderful nature that Vancouver is surrounded by - note: with Vancouver, you get a sense that nature had wrapped itself around the city, rather than the city encroaching upon nature.

It turned out to be the most glorious day to go sailing.  We even saw a sea lion (or seal), bobbing it's head above the surface of the water just 20 feet from the boat.  I realized that I really like Vancouver.  And even though, it may rain often, the beauty of the place outweighs the sometimes drabby weather.  Perhaps, it even teaches you something - since sunny, warm days are in short supply, you should take every chance you get to "seize the day" to do what you enjoy.  In my case, it's sailing!

travelman727 says:
Fantastic review of one of my favorite places in North America! You're right, Vancouver does have a quiet beauty :-D
Posted on: Feb 01, 2007