St. Augustine to Daytona - June 15, 2008

Daytona Beach Travel Blog

After 3 nights in St. Augustine I figured that it was time to get back down the road. The goal is to be in Abaco, Bahamas before July 1 so that I can be there for Race Week, Stranded Naked Party, Bahamas Independence, etc... I hear that July is THE month to be in the Bahamas, specifically the Abacos. So, back down the road for me.

The stretch of ICW from St. A. to Daytona is actually not very exciting at all. I did have to keep an eye out for the rock pile that my friends on Pirates Lady had encountered but that was about the only thing that kept my attention for long at all. There was a storm that came up around 1:30 in the afternoon but didn't cause much concern and it was over quickly.

I had thought about finding a place to stop somewhere north of Daytona because it was a long, uneventful day but decided I needed to keep going. Besides, there really wasn't anywhere to stop anyway. To my surprise, I made it in to Daytona much earlier than thought. It really only took about 8 1/2 hours from the time I pulled up the anchor until the time I put it back down again. By 5:30 pm I was settled down into an anchorage just south of the Seabreeze Bridge, across from Caribbean Jacks. It looked like Caribbean Jacks might be a restaurant/bar and was only a few hundred yards away but I decided to stay on the boat, make a fried oyster sandwich and get ready for the next day into Canaveral.
Daytona Beach