Downtown Jacksonville

Jacksonville Travel Blog

This past weekend, my friend Chuck from Texas came down to visit and sail around with me. Since my last post, I had been tied up in the marina just getting to know the boat. So I was really glad to have someone visit and help me sail. Chuck is a great sailor and we both learned some new things about the boat. Hopefully our little weekend adventure was enough to inspire him to get his boat out of the lake and into the ocean! Come on Chuck, we'll sail over to the Bahamas together.

On Saturday, we left around 11:00am and headed north up the St. Johns River. The wind was pretty nice, blowing probably 8-10. The trip from my marina to downtown Jacksonville is about 20 to 25 miles and we made it in 4 hours, putting us there right at 3:00pm. Plenty of time to eat a late lunch and take a siesta before going out for the night.

The area downtown is called the Jacksonville Landing. Not a bad little place hang out for a night. There's plenty of room to tie up to the docks and you can stay for up to 72 hours for free. So we found our spot and secured the boat. The area is sort of a horseshoe-shape with a stage in the middle and surrounded by restaurants, bars and shops. A couple of bands played that night and we pretty much just people-watched and listened to the music - at least that's all I'm willing to share.
The next morning we got up and headed back up the river (yes, up the river is actually south in this case). Quite a bit more wind this time,probably 12-15 knots and coming across the beam (that's directly sideways to the boat for you landlubbers). I didn't think she would do it, but we actually sailed around 6.
5 knots and even hit 7.3 a few times. That may not sound too fast, but I was surprised that a full keel boat with a 24.5 foot waterline would get up like that.
We found a little river to sail up into for the afternoon. Fueled up at a marina there and walked about a mile up to a shopping center for lunch and browsed around a boat store. After that, just headed back to the marina for the night.

Monday morning, we got up pretty early and decided to take her out one more time before he left that afternoon. The wind was light and I have a spinnaker that the previous owner had never used, so we decided to try to figure it out. A spinnaker is that big, colorful, ballon-looking sail that you sometimes see on a sailboat - used in light air to get a lot of extra power. Chuck had no problem figuring out how to hoist it and we had a great time with it. The wind picked up a little while later so we decided to drop it so we didn't get overpowered. We probably could have kept it going but didn't want to chance it. Here are a couple of pics of the spinnaker in action.
So we went back into the slip and Chuck went to the airport. I'll probably be going back to Texas in a few days to pack up the house and move everything on up to Oklahoma for storage. If anyone needs anything for their house, just ask because I'm probably selling it!

s/v Sirius

scubagirl76 says:
nice blog, be sure to put a link to it on the group!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2008