AsiaVietnamHanoi

Birthday wishes

Hanoi Travel Blog

Oooo the lovely burgers!!

The weather in Hanoi was extremely hot when we returned from Halong Bay. In fact for the next few days we couldn't do much during the day at all, as the temperatures were reaching well over 100F

The evening before my birthday we got together with some of the people we had been to Halong Bay with, and went out for some food.

My beautiful flowers
We were delighted with the food after the seafood overkill of the last few days, oh I still dream about that bacon cheese burger.....! After the meal we went to find a bar, but were slightly distracted by a street bar on the way. We were told that our group was too big, so we seperated into groups and sat down on tiny plastic stools on the side of the road. The place (well, the street!) was really packed, so we sent one of the guys up to fetch the beer. We got it in plastic cups, and apparantly it was siphoned out of a bucket, but at 3,000D (9p), who cares?!?!?

The next day was my birthday, and due to the unbearable weather and feelings of overindulgence from the night before we stayed in most of the day. I woke up to find that my gorgeous fiance had gone out early to a flower market on the other side of the lake and bought me back a beautiful bouquet of dark red roses, my favourites!! In the evening we found a TexMex restaurant and had huge piles of fajitas, YUM! The tablecloth was made from paper and they provided us with crayons, so we wiled away the time drawing pictures and writing messages! At the end of the meal we were umming and ahhing over which dessert to get, but chose to all share a cheesecake, but it was the worst cheesecake in the world, how disappointing!! When our comment forms arrived we said how wonderful everything was, except of course the cheescake.

Serious tablecloth writing
... it also had a section for date of birth so I got quite excited writing that it was my birthday! It took FOREVER for the bill to arrive, and we were just about to ask again when several members of staff arrived with a huge chocolate brownie with a birthday candle in it, and everyone sang!! And you think they don't read comment cards!!!

After a final day of souvenier shopping we had to say goodbye to Sarah. We went with her to the airport, she had to get a connecting flight to Bangkok which she only just made due to complications at Thai Immigration. It was sad and strange to see her go, we had got used to having a third traveller with us!

Two days later we had to do the trip to the airport ourselves, flying to Bangkok and getting a connection to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand.

We are Vietnamese LAAAAADIES!!
We decided to save a bit of money and get a minibus from down the road rather than a taxi, as the airport is quite far away. We had booked for 11.30 but arrived just before 11am as we didn't want to risk missing it! As soon as we arrived we were bundled onto one that was waiting, and already full. Lisa managed to squash onto a seat, but I ended up sitting on a plastic stool down the side (where people get on and off). It wasn't too comfortable, even less so when the dirver decided that 2 more people could sqeeze on too!! It was an interesting journey, we were practically sitting on each others laps, and there was no aircon, so much sweat was swapped. Fun....

Having seemingly moaned about a lot of things in Hanoi, we loved Vietnam. It is one place that we definatley would like to return to and see more of the country. The atmosphere was very relaxed after China, and the people really friendly! Plus the food was edilble, a definate bonus, Sarah even managed to convince me to eat street food. Although we drew the line at fertilsed eggs with fully developed ducklings inside *vomit*

Hanoi