Makati City Travel Blog

My new tattoo

The entire time I have been preparing for this trip I have heard about the tattooists here.  How talented they are and how they takle their art very seriously.  I have found since being here that although it is not unaccepted in full, that tattooing is still kind of taboo.  Of course that peaked my interest.  I had a few conversations with some cats who had some work done locally and after seeing what the artists were able to accomplish had to get one done.  I wondered around Makati looking for a particular artist at Black Strawberry at City walk in Glorietta.  I never found him.  I was searching for an entire day.  Anyway I ended up getting fully lost and found a place called Miano Ink.  It was a very small store front barely bigger than an average bedroom.

drawing it on
  When I walked inside the artist RJay started sizing me up a little, looking at my work and talking about where I had them done.  After about 15 minutes of talking to him he asked to design a peice for me.  Of course, that's why I came.  Instead of showing me flash or pictures of his work, he started showing me his friends/co workers/people walking by.  All of them had some peices he had done.  It was pretty amazing.  I agreed to get one done but had to come back the next day and at that at 9am.  So they opened early on Sunday and I walked in, had a cup of rice coffee-ew, and we were off.  About 30 minutes into the tattoo I started feeling faint.  I hadn't eaten anything and had been out playing a show the night before so it was not a good ocmbination.
RJay and I the tattooist.
Within a minute this guys steps out from behind a curtain and starts to massage some pressure points in my hand.  About 5 minutes in I felt fine, it was the weirdest experience ever.  Absolutely amazing.

After 3.5 hours we were done.  Over all the experience was amazing, probably the best one I have ever had.  RJay was able to create exactly what I had pictured in my mind after only a 30 minute conversation and transform it into a beautiful flowing work of art on me within 3.5 hours.  He was extremely proud of his work and we took about 25 pictures of his new friend from NY.  Much respect to RJay and the crew down at Miano Ink at Glorietta.  They are all evry talented artists, professional and really friendly.  Thanks guys, see ya next time.  Also when people talk about Philippino style of tattooing and art, they are serious.  The people out here know their shit and they take it very seriously.

jigen says:
where i can contact you??my father is interested to have a tattoo in your shop in glorietta..
Posted on: Mar 21, 2010
Just starting out
Just starting out
Looks harsh, hes about to stab me
Looks harsh, he's about to stab me
Considering his next move
Considering his next move
within 45 minutes he was done with…
within 45 minutes he was done wit…
Get er done