First day in the Czech Republic

Kutna Hora Travel Blog

Bridge to St Barbara's

I got in to Prague today and after a few inconveniences (broken ATMs and misunderstoodhostel directions) I made it to the hostel here.  Its a very nice place with a big garden area and a number of small buildings off of the garden.  Prague is pretty big, so I have to ride the subway to get into town but the system they have here is really easy to follow shouldnt be an issue.

After I got in to town I was going to take a walking tour that one of the employees at the hostel in Krakow recommended, but they dont offer it on Thursday so I flipped my itinerary to go to Kutna Hora today and then spend tomorrow and Saturday morning in Prague.

Town Center
  Kutna Hora is a medieval town not too far from Prague that features a number of old churches and some cool winding streets.  I visited two churches there, the first was St Barbaras Catherdral which is your typical cathedral with amazing stained glass and organ and the second was the Kostnice Ossuary, or bone church.  Basically, during the plague about 30,000 people were buried at this church, then a few hundred years later they needed to do some expansion and construction on the building since it was built in the 1200s and excavated a number of the grave sites.  They were left with a huge pile of bones and then in the 1800s they decided to use them to decorate the church.  Theres a chandelier made of skulls and a large coat of arms made of bones as well.  It was a bit odd, but pretty cool as well.

The tour tomorrow covers a lot of the major sites in Prague, but I think Ill end up revisiting a few of the more interesting ones.  It also has a lunch break at a Czech restaurant which the guy in Poland told me has incredibly good food and is far enough off the main road that it isnt just another touristy restaurant.

The computer here has USB ports that I can get to, so depending on what time I get back and computer availability I might have a chance to post some pictures.  But if not Ill at least get them by the time I meet up with Tai in Italy since he has a laptop.

chooch24 says:
Not sure if my other comment went through (tech challenged) anyhow, it sounds like a great trip other than the church with the bones that is a little strange...have fun! Can't wait to see the pix.
Love you,