The first days

Puerto La Cruz Travel Blog

After the landing in Caracas, I immediately took a taxi to the busterminal del oriente to take a 5h-bus to Puerto La Cruz and Santa Fe. The trip through the town was pretty intimidating and the taxi-driver didn´t stop giving me tips for my security, so I wouldn´t want to stroll around there on my own. So let´s forget about Caracas!

After some time I finally arrived at my first real destination, being Santa Fe. It is basically a very poor little ´pueblito´with a marvelous beach. It´s a Carribean beach, just like in the movies. I met 3 French guys (David, Nicolas and Thibault) who are actually going the same way as I do: Brazil. I might meet them in the near future.
I also met 7 Spanish girls from Barcelona. They are here for an interchange project with disabled children. In Santa Fe I spent 3 days, making boat-trips to coral reefs and (not so) deserted tropical beaches. Yesterday we had a real salsa-party in some kind of discotheca. All the time the Spanish girls were willing to give me Spanish lessons. Things could be worse, huh?

Concerning my Spanish: the South-American Spanish is very hard to understand, so communication is restricted to practical things (for now). Anyway, I think I will be inbetween European tourists most of the time, so I´ll manage.

Also in Santa Fe I met a Spanish guy who was there with his wife and children. They already did their tour in Venezuela. And years before he visited Brazil. So we sat down with a Caipirinha on the Santa Fe beach and he just couldn´t stop telling his stories (in Spanish, yes),... and I couldn´t stop listening. He was using words as marvelloso, estupendo and the more.

One thing is for sure: great experiences are ahead.
A caballo, vamos pa´l monte!

PS:
-pretty annoying in Venezuela is the fact that, being a foreigner, you cannot withdraw cash from a machine!
You really have to go to the bank and wait in a queue for 2 hours to obtain money.
-pretty odd in Venezuela is the fact that there is a time difference of 4hours... and a half!
It´s something president Hugo Chavez made up once. You just have to know.

Puerto La Cruz