surrounded by the ocean

Encumeada Travel Blog

Well Hello mountains! About time I was about to litterally stick my head in the clouds again but apparently I had to wait for that untill the afternoon. Some beautiful green valleys and brownish mountains started to appear and  the bus took a great deal of turns going up. You sure need a heck lot of driving skills around here that's for sure! I don't even understand quite well how they ever managed to build roads on this island and make it so accessible everywhere. Yet I don't have the impression that this is an undermining point for nature and the environment.  Quite clear we were going up so Woohoo! The bus first dropped me off at Encumeada. This is the true centre of Madeira. You can see the ocean when looking north AND when looking south, kinda disturbing isn't it but for me it was as i'm only used to see the sea on either one side, lol. There were some beautiful white flowers of which I off course forgot the name and at this point you could see the clouds climbing up the mountains. I started to see a different side of Madeira, one that I didn't see yet before because of the scenery and the constant nearness of the Atlantic. Now I understand why it plays such a huge roll in the island's economy. For the first time ever during this bus tour I regretted I couldn't stay a bit longer.

Encumeada