most beautiful coastal Madeiran town

Porto Moniz Travel Blog

After having left Sao Vicente the sea was on my right side and I saw my first and only natural waterfall in Madeira! It hushed out of the mountains into the sea,  outstanding nature this was, certainly one of the highlights of the day.  There are still quite a few other waterfalls to be seen on Madeira which can be reached by following levada's or marked walking routes. The coast is very whimsical and green and rises up to the sky. The natural charm of these northern coast was way more appealing than those beaches in the south in my opinion.

Those mountains I longed for so much were traded once more for a coastal town and this was the most beautiful town in my opinion on the entire island.  Porto Moniz has a coast formed entirely by lavarocks.

A lot of pools have been formed by these rocks  which separate a little  piece of sea from the ocean. It's ike a private swimming pool in the Atlantic but with natural water and very clean.  Madeira is completely volcanic you know. It even is a volcano top and it is situated on the African plate. So in fact the entire Island is built from and by a volcano. This is the main reason for the coast being so whimsical and for the lavarocks rising out of the sea. This returns a very unique and inspirational landscape. No worries, no threat of an eruption as volcanic activity has stopped a long time ago.

I had dinner at a way to fancy restaurant, one of the few disadvantages of booking such a bus tour I guess. The restaurant was built on a concrete platform that was constructed on the rocks so it almost kissed the ocean. The food was excellent but I decided only to stay there until after I was finished eathing  because I really felt the odd one there.  NOooo! Outside !! It was sooo hot and sooo relaxing near the pools.  Spotted a few lizards again while walking. The town itself isn't that special but it remains a magical place thanks to nature.

Porto Moniz