Sao Vicente: a hidden pearl

Sao Vicente Travel Blog

Sao Vicente is an extraordinary location in my opinion. The village stretches out over the little valley between two mountain ranges and there is one main road running through this valley that gives you a splendid overview on the village.  The typical red roofed houses and palm trees everywhere form a tropical landscape and right in the middle there is a very picturesque church to be seen. The sea is very near as well which returns a fresh but healthy soft wind and turns the air more blue. It comes to surface when you go down the main road in the valley and in the village you don't have the impression the sea is so close although you can hear it if you listen very carefully. The high mountains nearby offer a way of protection and in history this used to be the favourite place of  a great deal of pirates! I sometimes wished to be born back then to see a Madeira without any roads, hotels or anything at all except a few lost drunken fishermen having a party to celebrate the catch they made on the sea.

Arrrrr matie!

I only saw a few men playing cards over there. Otherwise the village was as good as empty,. The villagers must have been doing  an occasional siesta or have been thinking I was a pirate because of my long hair back then. With my mind still set on 'Treasure Island' I left and said hello to the Atlantic! Yes that's right the Atlantic although I had expected some higher mountains. I didn't mind as this part of Madeira is truely one of the most beautiful.  The villages near the sea are surrounded by mountains, the ocean and form a true harmony.

Sao Vicente