The Mighty Amazonas

Amazon Travel Blog

I rolled over in my hammock to the views of the Combined river under a rising sun. What a way to wake up, shame it was destroyed by the ever present rumble from the roaring engine by my head. Bom Dia Alegria (Good Morning Happiness).

While myself and Simon queued up for lunch for what seemed like ages, his binoculars were almost stolen by a hyper little kid who was apparently entrusted to my care by her mother, or so I later found out thats what she said. Sarah was one of the cutest little kids you'll ever meet. After a further 20 minutes of hanging out of us, Sarah nicely explained to us by way of actions that the women ate on the right side of the boat while men ate on the other side. This was much to the enjoyment of the entire boat, especially seeing as we were getting frustrated with everybody skipping us in the queue!

After lunch, we again took over the domino table and played yaniv which seemingly amazed all the locals. We did a few card tricks for Sarah but she was more interested in teaching us a game, I think it was called "Sarah Wins", even when I cheated I lost!

That night I broke out the vodka which we mixed with Simon's Guarana while inventing drinking games to involve everyone. The local gentlemen were far more interested in "forcing" me to share in their cachaca while the girls threw in some complimentary dance lessons. Learning to dance forró on a moving boat, after drinking plenty of vodka and cachaca is entertaining everyone to watch... thankfully no photos survived from this night.

Life is hard!