Texas Ice Storm

Slaton Travel Blog

Ice buildup.

For those of you who have never experienced an Ice Storm I thought I would show you a few photos and tell you what an Ice Storm is.

When I was in the Philippines someone once asked me what was Snow like? How do you describe snow to someone who has never seen or felt it? From what I remember I ended up using ice buildup in a freezer to get close lol.  So that is why I write this.

In the winter time it can get cold enough that instead of rain or even snow ice particles comes down called sleet.  If it continues to sleet ice will build up on everything causing tree branches to break, power or telephone lines to come down, and makes the roads extremely dangerous to drive on.

I have traveled from Abilene, TX home to Lubbock, TX were they have closed the road behind me because too many accidents and people sliding into the ditch.  This trip the photos are from I drove from Dallas back home and counted no less than 47 vehicles in the ditch and one horse trailer on its side (horse was ok).  And I live in the Southern United States; many up North get much worse than we do here.

Lines breaking