AfricaEgyptDahab

Discovering Why The Red Sea Got It's Name

Dahab Travel Blog

Dahab was set up to be the relaxation leg of my holiday with very little historic sightseeing of any kind....and that's exactly what it became. I had to say goodbye to Ari & Aaron in Cairo as they had to make their way back to Israel. They were going to stop off at the Red Sea on the Israeli border and asked me to come along, unfortunately I was to fly home in a few days and would nto have the time. Great lads to travel with, so happy to have met them.

For a few days in Dahab, I stayed in a small wooden hut just off from the beach. Most people tend to stay in Sharm El Sheik but Sharm is so much more built up whereas Dahab is one street with miles of untouched beaches.

Off in the distance, I could see Mount Sinai where Moses received the Ten Commandments from God. Some day I will hopefully make it back to climb up there. Not enough time on this trip. The sea that I was swimming in was the very same that Moses on that faithful day parted so that his people could be freed. Hmmm maybe I did see some things of historic value here.

To be honest, none of that interested me as much as snorkelling around this beautiful sea and relaxing on the beach....even Bob got in on the act!!

I strongly recommend going to Dahab if you ever get a chance to go to the Sinai, but quickly before it gets too built up.

Oh and as for where the sea got its name from.... just around the time of sunset, depending on where you are, a glint of red appears across the waters. I tried to get a photo of this moment but it didnt exactly come out that well for me.

Bob Takes A Swim
Bob Takes A Swim
How About A Little Deep Bulb Diving
How About A Little Deep Bulb Diving
Who Needs A Snorkel When Youve Go…
Who Needs A Snorkel When You've G…
895 km (556 miles) traveled