EuropeItalyRome

Christmas Day!

Rome Travel Blog

Today involved lots of sleeping in and giving our feet a rest. By the afternoon I couldnt be cooped up any longer. Charles and I first wandered over to the Torre Argentina Roman Cat Sanctuary, a large, volunteer-run, no-kill cat shelter set in the famous ruins of Torre Argentina. The street around the ruins is done as a square with the actual road going all the way around it much like a traffic circle. The ruins are sunk in so you can look down from the side walk rails. The cat sanctuary is completely volunteer and donations run. The cats basically live in the ruins but are also available for adoption. The weird part to me was how many of the cats are 3 legged. In a way its nice to see that they prefer to perform amputations rather than putting the cats down (which probably would be cheaper and easier for the shelter).
The history of the place is pretty facinating as it lacked any kind of organizational presecence from 1929 to 1993... (From their website):

"1929 was the year the sacred area of Torre Argentina was excavated. This was also the year the history of the cats residency began. Stray and abandoned felines took refuge in the protected area below street level. From 1929 until 1993, the cats were more or less regularly fed by a succession of cat ladies or 'gattare' as they are called condescendingly by the Romans. "

After the cat sanctuary we wandered over to the Spanish Steps. It seemed to be slightly under construction but we only stayed long enough for some sunset photos before hitting up Piazza Del Popolo. On the way we stopped in a random church as Rome is covered in them and we hadnt really taken the time to stop in too many. The ceiling was rather pretty. I wished I had saved the name somewhere but Im sure it is on Via del Babuino somewhere between the Spanish Steps and Piazza Del Popolo. After a picture or two of the piazza we took a leisurely stroll back home as we had to get up early the next day.
Rome