Hamburg: St. Michel, Ferry ride and Fireworks!

Hamburg Travel Blog

Hamburg:
My second day to enjoy Hamburg with friends!

I woke up early and received a call from my friend, Hendrik, that he will pick me up at my friend's house in an hour. Cool~! I checked my email and relaxed while I waited. At half past 10, we walked to the area where Eva and I had lunch yesterday for some breakfast. Cheese, breads, cold cuts and fruits for breakfast. It was yummy and very healthy! Germans sure love their breads.

We proceeded to go to the city center to get me a cellphone. Originally, I just wanted a SIM card since I will be in Paris after a few days and I didn't want to rack up hundreds of dollars on my phone bill for roaming and international charges likes Egypt and London, but they were having a sale and I ended up getting a SIM card and a new phone! All in 40euros! It was cool.
Hamburg:
Until I realized that France doesnt carry T-mobile. What the effin hell?
 My friend Eva met up with us later on. Hendrik's girlfriend also met up with us. We did some window shopping then hung out at Hendrik's place to rest from the heat. It was unusually warn in Hamburg that weekend. After an hour, we went up to St. Michel's bell tower and saw a 360 view of Hamburg. It was beautiful! You can see the 'lake' that really a part of the Elbe River and the harbor. We can even see the apartment building where Eva lives! From the top of the St. Michel bell tower, you can see how Hamburg is a very green city. I like it!

Eva had to leave after that so Hendrik and I got on the ferry for a round trip tour. We got on the top of the ferry boat and enjoy seeing the sights as it stops to drop off and pick up the passengers.
It was the best and cheapest way to see Hamburg's harbor since the ferry is free if you have a day ticket (3-day ticket) for the metro! Uber cool! Because it was hot and sunny in Hamburg, I even got a tan!

After the ferry ride, Hendrik went home and I headed back to Eva's place to rest and meet up with Eva. An hour later, we met up with eva's friend, Leona whom I already met 6 years ago in Strand Pauli - again! this time being a Friday, it was more crowded as everyone looked forward to the end of the work week and the weekend! Hendrik joined us for drinks before leaving to meet up with his girlfriend for the fireworks. Leona and her bf, Eva and I took the subway to the lake where the fireworks is held. But before that, we stopped by at the mini-mart located outside the subway entrance for some beer! As German as it can get, we walked with the crowd around the lake, trying to find a clear spot to see the fireworks, and everyone - except the kiddies - had a beer on their hand! Some even were hold a can or bottle of beer on each hand!

The firework display was beautiful. It wasn't as grand as Macy's 4th of July fireworks, but it was nice. After the fireworks, we were beat and decided to return home - arriving by midnight.
Hamburg