'sweltering' London

London Travel Blog

Yes it's amazing we're all still alive, really, what with our recent heatwave.  Oh, did you not hear about it?  It was all over the news here - it was 'sweltering' and 'like a desert'... it was 22 degrees.

Seriously.

I really had to try not to laugh out loud when reading the newspaper on the train.  The London Marathon was run over the weekend, and apparently 22C was just way more than most of them could handle.  Um, aren't there marathons that are actually run in the desert?  I'm not saying that I'd like to run 26 miles in 22deg, but then I didn't enter - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the marathon.

(Admittedly one guy did die after completing it, but that was actually coz he drank too much water).

I have been enjoying the nice weather recently - we had a lovely little picnic in Sunnyhill Park up the road from our house.  And I took a wander through Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens, where there were a disturbing number of people sunbathing (ok, it wasn't that warm - but I guess in England you've got to grab what you can).  I also checked out the Cabinet War Rooms, which were very interesting.

Well I'd better go out and enjoy tropical London.
London