I'm (still) dreaming of a white Christmas...

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Well my dreams of a white Christmas just didn't come true.  It was certainly very cold & it was kind of white outside... but it was just fog.  Christmas was, however, fun.

I came up to Edinburgh by train on Saturday (& had to sit on the floor half the way).  I'm staying with Laurel & Andrew in the little flat they've just moved into - it was so nice to see familiar faces again!

We did an excessive amount of food shopping on Christmas Eve (contrary to the news hype, the shops had not run out of food) and then cooked a rather successful roast for Christmas lunch (some of the best roast potatoes I've ever eaten).  We had some presents in the morning, and whilst we ate ridiculous amounts of food we shared photos of our respective travels.

There was a rather bizarre incident in the morning (when we were sitting around in our PJs eating croissants & champagne) when their neighbour knocked on the door, invited himself in & stood there for about 20 mins drunkenly talking about various things, especially violence.  Then he asked if we'd mind if he joined us, to which we politely said actually yes we would mind... and eventually we managed to get him out of the house (by "we" of course I mean Laurel & Andrew, since I didn't feel particularly threatening in my Cookie Monster pyjamas...)

He kept knocking again over the last few days & Andrew finally spoke to him yesterday, and he apologised for his behaviour... and then continued to talk for another 20 mins & once again we couldn't get rid of him!

Other than that, we braved the sales on Boxing Day - I bought a lovely warm coat & a few other things (and now have no money left).  I've also done some sight seeing - visiting the National Museum of Scotland, St Giles Cathedral, the National Portrait Gallery & the National Gallery.

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and have a safe and happy New Year!
Edinburgh