pottery, music, cliffs and more

Doolin Travel Blog

Doolin
After leaving Killadeas we headed to Belleek and took a tour of the pottery workshop there - it's quite famous, handmade fine china.  It was fascinating watching them working - they make all the moulds by hand, cast the pieces by hand, all hand painted... the type of job that would drive me completely crazy!

Then we drove down to the west coast of Ireland, where there's lots of beautiful rugged cliffs and sea views.  We got caught in a traffic jam through Galway, and then eventually ended up in Doolin - a little village right on the coast which is quite famous for music & has one little corner store and then four hostels and about 10+ pubs.

We heard some nice background traditional Irish music whilst eating dinner, but I was too tired to stay out late and check out the real music scene.
the Cliffs of Moher

This morning we went out to the Cliffs of Moher, some really impressive cliffs out on the coast.  They were fabulous - high & rugged & wind blowing across from the sea.  Though they've just recently opened a new visitor centre there and it all seemed a bit too touristified - high walls keeping you back from the edge, state of the art visitor centre etc.  There was a point where the path ended and signs said to go no further etc (which many people ignored, and so did I) and along there it was much more what I imagined - precarious paths on the edge of the cliffs and hardly any people.

I would've liked to just wander along there for most of the day, but as always we had to move on...
photo by: chrisrae