the beauty of Cambridge

Cambridge Travel Blog

King's College Chapel

So our JA tour ended with us heading back to Cambridge & giving up our beloved little car.  We crashed out for a few hours doing washing & whatever else & then in the afternoon went out with Genna's aunt & cousin & two dogs to the Wimpole Estate - yet another big house & parkland.

We took the dogs for a walk through the park & saw lots of adorable tiny little lambs.  Then Genna & I went through the house which was once again fabulous.  It's smaller than most of the others we saw, but it felt much more livable - the owner only died about 30 years ago, and much of it has been left as she had it.  It was one of the few places where you actually got to see below stairs into the servants quarters & kitchens etc, which was really interesting.

punting on the canal

Today was a day of Cambridge sightseeing, and it was just fabulous (I wish I could think of a new word!).  The weather was blue skies & sunshine & just glorious.  We wandered through the shops & laneways & stopped at Genna's ex-work for coffee.

Then we went through King's College Chapel, which was truly awesome.  I've seen a lot of old chapels and cathedrals etc, but this was just astounding.  It has ceilinings about 24 metres high, with a quite simple but lovely stone fan pattern.  And there's a wonderful organ in the middle, and it was all just beautiful.

Then we headed out into the King's College grounds, which are stunning.  We hung over a bridge for a while watching handsome young men punt down the canal (and not-so-handsome ones too, and some who had absolutely no idea what they were doing when it came to punting).

sunny Cambridge

Then we wandered through landways & meadows & across greens & more bridges (more gazing at punters).  Then we went through Trinity College, which also had beautiful buildings & a stunning chapel - another very high ceiling, but this time of wood, which made it feel humbler than King's, but still gorgeous.

There was more wandering in the sunshine & then more coffee (where Genna worked was right across the road from King's - awesome spot to work), because after hearing them practice the organ we'd decided to stick around for a service at King's.  Since it was actually Maundy Thursday, it was a full Eucharist service, including a stripping of the altar at the end, preparing for Easter.  It was very interesting & the choir was just beautiful, although we wanted to hear more of them (really we should've gone to a concert, since the music is really what we were there for!).

And suddenly that was the end of my English countryside tour, and I headed back to London, which sadly did not at all feel like going 'home' - I kept wishing that I'd chosen to live somewhere like Cambridge or Derbyshire, rather than London.  But then I reasoned that I would've had to have hundreds of trips to London, since there are so many things I wanted to see & do here.  Life is such a compromise!

Kings College Chapel