Pride & Prejudice heaven!

Derbyshire Travel Blog

Sudbury Hall

This was our full-on BBC Pride & Prejudice day!  We started out from Gastard with a nice long drive north all the way up to Derbyshire (both Genna & I were actually really excited to be doing some driving - I haven't driven since camp last year, and apparently can still remember how to do it!).

We arrived at Sudbury Hall around midday, had some scones & jam & cream (although frankly, I can make better scones), then took a wander through the gardens.  Then we went through the house, which was really just surreal - it is used for all the interiors of Pemberley & we were just lost for words most of the time.  We even re-enacted Lizzy standing at the window & looking across the gardens & saying "of all this I might have been mistress.

.."

Most impressive was the long gallery upstairs, which is quite stunning in its own right, and is where Lizzy sees a portrait of Mr Darcy, and where he later strides along having lovely memories of Lizzy.  *sigh*

Then we had to jump back in the car & head over to Lyme Park (we were on a tight schedule, to fit everything in!).  This was used as the exteriors for Pemberley, and we were once again lost for words.  The inside of the house was quite impressive, but it was outside in the gardens that we got very excited - taking photos of the stairs that they walk up & the spot where Mr Darcy & Lizzy unexpectedly meet, and... many other things.

It was basically just a fabulous day.  And then we stayed in a hostel called Hartington Hall, which was this amazing 17th-Century stone manor-house (where apparently Bonnie Prince Charlie once stayed).  It was certainly one of the most stunning-looking hostels I've ever stayed in.

Derbyshire