The One Where Erin Climbs a Mountain

Ambleside Travel Blog

looking down Windermere from Wansfell Pike

My day started with a bus ride through the narrow winding roads of the Lake District - slightly unnerving when the bus speeds round corners of the supposedly-two-lanes roads - we did come face-to-face with a rather large truck & the bus had to reverse a few hundred metres up the road to get to spot to allow the truck to pass.

I spent the morning ambling around Ambleside (oh I'm good with words...) and then headed up to Stock Ghyll Force (a failry meagre waterfall, but a nice stroll).  Then, for some unknown reason (well, because my guidebook said it gave a good view), I decided to continue my stroll up to Wansfell Pike - and so my stroll turned into more of a hike straight up the side of a small mountain.

It was quite a lot of effort for my poor little legs, plus there was blazing sunshine & I was carrying a weekend's worth of clothes on my back & I hadn't realised how close to lunchtime it was.

Windermere
.. but it was worth it.  The view down Windermere (the Lake District's largest lake) was superb, so beautiful, and I could actually see right out to the coast!  There was also a great view across the fells and over little Ambleside below.  I could've sat there for quite some time, but I could feel my little sunburnt nose getting redder by the minute, so I ran back down (1hr up, 1/2hr down) to cool off (& eat!) in a nice little cafe.

Once I'd regained my strength, I wandered down to Waterhead to jump on a boat down to Bowness, took another little wander along the lake & eventually jumped on a train back to London to end my Lakeland adventure.

looking down Windermere from Wansf…
looking down Windermere from Wans…
Ambleside