"Oh who could ever be tired of Bath?"

Bath Travel Blog

Bath Abbey & the Roman Baths
I couldn't come to England and not visit Bath, so to Bath I went.

I took the bus up yesterday morning (sadly much cheaper & much slower than the train) and started my wanderings through the town.  Bath Abbey is quite fabulous - there's has been a church of some sorts on the site for over a thousand years, this one since 1499.  It has a stunning high ceiling, and [insert random fact] Governor Arther Phillip (who settled New South Wales) is buried there.

I then took a free walking tour of Bath, which was very interesting - about two hours & we walked all around Bath & heard about the history & the houses & the people.  It was then about time to visit the actual baths of Bath, which was quite fascinating - they were of course built by the Romans a couple of thousand years ago, but only re-discovered just over a hundred years ago.
The Circus
  The water still flows from the natural hot springs, though you can't actually bathe there (they've recently opened a fancy Thermae Bath Spa for those who wish to take to the waters).

Today I got up bright and early, wandered through the Victoria Art Gallery, then decided it was time to take the waters myself - in the Pump Room (a popular gathering place of Georgian Bath, where people came supposedly to drink the waters for their health, but really to check out which eligible bachelors were in town).  It was just a glass of warm water, but it did make me feel like I was stepping back into a Jane Austen novel.

Then it was time to actually step into an Austen novel & take the JA walking tour of Bath.  It took us to many similar places as my tour the day before, but with a lot more specific and fascinating Austen stories (she lived there for five years & set two of her novels there).
The Collonades in Bath
  So it was really lovely.  Then, to continue the theme, I went through the JA centre for more Austen trivia & souveniers, and had tea & crumpets in their tearooms!

To finish the day I visited the Assembly Rooms (a frequent mention of JA, and she would've gone there herself), including the Museum of Costume (which is prety self-explanatory).

So it was a lovely two days - the weather was good, and the famous Bath stone really glows in the sunlight.  "I believe I shall always be talking of Bath"*.

*this & title quote borrowed from Catherine Morland of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (they're on my new Jane Austen in Bath bag.  Seriously).
pierrejacques says:
A very nicely written review of the region, to which I have linked from our travel community at trivago. You can view the link at http://www.trivago.co.uk/bath-39998
Posted on: Apr 29, 2007