"I am going to Gretna Green..."

Chester Travel Blog

Gretna Green

Yet another day of pretty much driving all day, and my patience with just driving from one place to another and not really staying long enough to explore at all has probably worn past thin.

We detoured through Irvine (Grandma was an Irvine) in the hope of finding another impressive ancestral home, only to find it wasn't actually in Irvine (the address was actually written on the picture Mum had, but she apparently chose to ignore this).  After much driving around & wrong turns & me eventually deciding to stop speaking at all because considering my mood, nothing nice was likely to come out… we eventually found said house, which was completely surrounded by trees & had a big sign saying PRIVATE out the front (Mum still took multiple photos of the chimneys poking through the mini forest).

Then we were almost out of Scotland, but we stopped at Gretna Green to see where all the young 'uns used to cross the border from England to get married.

We've ended up in Chester, in a fairly average backpackers - we took a stroll up to the supermarket & saw part of the wall that surrounds the city, and a few other pretty looking old buildings.

photo by: Hummingbird