Sleepless in Bilbao

Bilbao Travel Blog

View of Bilbao

We were walking with this nice couple from Sevilla. They were going to stop in Bilbao and take it from there on their next vacation.

Again we came throught the mountain...we had a beautiful view on the city.  As usual we directed ourselves straight to  the cathedral.  There, as usual, we got our "sellos" for our credential. Actually, we were lucky to get it as everybody was busy preparing a wedding.

All the comments I had about Bilbao was that it was an uninteresting industrial city... On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked walking around the historic center.  As we were admiring the architecture of the Cathedral, and watching people from the wedding gathering outside, a woman came to talk to me.

Nice place if you're ready to party
She had done the camino 2 years before. She told me how much she envied me and gave me her best wishes. She even asked if we had a place to stay...

Our Sevillian friends helped us find a nice cheap hostel well located close to the cathedral. We thought we had found the perfect place until night came...

Indeed, the hostel was well located just above an nice and busy wine bar! So, as we were getting ready to sleep, customers downstairs were getting ready to party!!!  They seem to have so much fun down there. Some people were laughing and singing in the street. We could hear noise from wine bottles. In the hallway, we could hear loud discussion from some of our neighbours oviously coming from the bar back to their rooms.  I keep on turning around all night. I had no earplugs.  I couldn't sleep. Maybe I have gone there and drank a couple glasses of wine myself. It would probably had helped alot to find my sleep.

By the time the bar closed, we could hear city workers cleaning up the streets.  I had barely closed an eye all night, and as usual we were schedule to start walking with sunrise.

Getting up was so hard that morning!!! This time, it wasn't because of muscles pain!!!

As we left the hostel, there was no souls in the streets of the city.

View of Bilbao
Nice place if youre ready to party
Nice place if you're ready to party