First steps...

Irun Travel Blog

My backpack finally arrives at 10 a.m... ouf! everything worked out as planned.

We took our first steps on the famous camino de santiago... and decided to take the path by the sea... got lost looking for it... 45 minutes later we were right back in front of our hotel hoping nobody would see us.

It was a very nice day of walk on the seaside. It was so beautiful. We crossed from France to Spain.  It took us 6 hours to get to pilgrim's albergue in Irun. It was a small place, we were all squeezed together but it was so nice to meet others.  There' was a fraternal ambiance.  Danish, French, German, and Canadian pilgrims shared a meal in a small local restaurant. There was a frenchman who had left his home for such a long period that his family had a t-shirt made for him with their picture printed on it. I gave him a friendship pin I had brought from home especially to give to my friends of the road.

I discussed with Eve a canadian-german woman who was doing the camino on her own.  I was worried about her. she was not well prepared. She had this enormous backpack.  Everybody was telling her she should get rid of some stuff. she wouldn't. I just had time to show her ours maps and indications for the next few days, she took some notes, then the lights went out at 10'oclock (rule of the house). We all got to bed.

The night was difficult again. There were young spanish people partying in the street and fireworks started exploding in the middle of the night. Everyone woke up in a jump. I didn't get much sleep again.

photo by: brcko