Raglan

Raglan Travel Blog

Cliffs at Raglan Coast

David and Wendy picked us up at the Novotel and drove us out to Raglan on the west coast of the North Island.  It was a busy day in Raglan, as we found out later there was a reggae concert there that day.  Raglan is sort of a hippie beach community, fairly artsy and lots of fun.  There were lots of folks in dreadlocks, obviously there for the reggae fest.  We enjoyed a huge breakfast at the Tongue and Groove, a funky restaurant reviewed below.

We walked around the town a bit checking out the little art shops and other stores.  I got some necklaces for my sons made of whale bone that were in the shape of a whale's tale.  We also had to stop at David's favorite ice cream place and have a cone with hokey pokey ice cream.

Bridal Falls
  Hokey Pokey has some little candies in it and is a real treat.

We took a drive out to a place where we could walk up a hill and look out over the coastline to the Tasman Sea toward Australia.  The views were stunning!  We saw lots of birds but not a lot of other wild life.

We also got to check out a water fall called Bridal Falls and I hiked down to the falls with David and Wendy.  It was a bit steep for Mom and Dad.  The falls were really spectacular -- a ribbon of water falling into a pool below.  It reminded me of Hawaii.

We headed back into Hamilton for dinner at Little India.  We enjoyed a great family style meal with chicken vindaloo, chicken tikka masala, rogan josh, prawns in coconut curry, veggies and 3 kinds of naan.  I was in heaven, and Mom and Dad enjoyed it too.  They don't get a lot of Indian food in Wyoming!

David and Wendy were the great tour guides!  I am fortunate to have such good friends down under.

Beach at Raglan
With Wendy at the base of the Falls
With Wendy at the base of the Falls
Raglan Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Funky Cafe at the Beach
The Tongue & Groove Cafe in Raglan is a funky, laid-back, and very unique cafe on the main drag in Raglan. It serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. I … read entire review
Raglan