Off to New Zealand

Papeete Travel Blog

Ready to Board!

Our plane was to leave Tahiti for Auckland at 7:50am, so I set the alarm for 5am.  I used my travel alarm, my watch alarm, the hotel radio alarm and the wake up call system -- just to be sure that we did not oversleep.  Neither the hotel alarm or the hotel wake up call system worked, so I was glad I had back ups!!  We slept pretty well, except that Dad woke me up several times during the night as he ran into walls and door on his way to the bathroom.  Don't you just hate trying to find your way to the bathroom in the dark in a strange hotel room?

Mom and I had room service coffee and it was as thick and dark as maple syrup -- and pretty nasty tasting.  We showered and packed and were out the door around 5:45am.  The stay was expensive for what we got -- and our room was never cleaned while we were there.  Guess I won't be recommending the Sheraton Tahiti.

We boarded the Air Tahiti Nui plane around 7:20.  There was not an open seat anywhere in sight.  I got sandwiched in between Dad and a huge guy with the worst body odor.  It made the five and a half hour flight seem like 8 hours!  Ed got even with me on the gin game scoring -- he beat me 4 out of 6 times.  I was going to have to work harder to try to stay ahead of him.

Right before we landed in Auckland, we crossed the International Dateline, and suddenly it was Sunday, January 30th.

Our plane to New Zealand