Meet the Parents at LAX

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Air Tahiti Nui to Papeete, Tahiti

I got into LAX about 8:45am local time and had to wait on my parents' plane to come in from Denver.  They got in around 11am and I met them at their gate and took them to the Admiral's Club for a drink and to get caught up.  I played several hands of the card game, gin rummy, and I beat him like a drum!  He was off his game, as he usually is a pretty tough competitor!

We had about 5 hours to kill before we could even go to the gate for our flight, so we ate some lunch in the Tom Bradley International Terminal (Mom had chicken salad, Dad had Chinese and I had Japanese) and we hit the Duty Free Shops.  We had still more time, so ended up playing several more hands of gin with my Dad -- and I still won them all!

We were finally allowed to board our flight to Tahiti around 6pm.

Airbus 340
  We were flying on Air Tahiti Nui.  It was a brand new Airbus 340 -- a very nice plane.  Mom and Dad were on the window and aisle on the two seat side, and I was across the aisle from them, so our seating arrangement was pretty good.  The flight seemed like it was going to be fairly empty, when all of a sudden about 100 French guys showed up and got on board.  One of them sat down next to me.  I bid him hello, he said "bon jour" and never spoke again!  He slept the entire way -- about 8 and a half hours.  He was pressed up against me most of the time -- legs, arms, etc.  Very bizarre.

I watched a couple of movies on the way down to Tahiti -- Without a Paddle (a movie that would appeal to my sons with real sophomoric humor) and Catwoman.  At some point I fell asleep watching Catwoman and it was so bad that I don't care that I don't know how it ended.

We landed at midnight local time and we were all beat.  It was very warm and humid as we exited the plane and there was a very long wait at customs, so it was pretty miserable.  I had hoped we would be able to get a hotel shuttle to our hotel (the Sheraton), but there was none.  It was a very short taxi ride to the hotel, and it cost $3000 French Pacific Francs -- about $36.00 USD!  What a rip off.

We got checked in -- I gave Mom and Dad both an Ambien and bid them good night.  I popped a Tylenol PM and hit the rack as well.  Mom and Dad did a little "delirium talking" before they went to sleep and were pretty funny.  We all slept very well.